Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 2: Nuremberg (day 1)

Ok...so last night was a very late night and a very early morning for us. Jeff needed to be at the airport by 6am. So we asked the Hostel what was the best way, and they said to take the Airport shuttle at 5am...which means we were up at 4am (or 10pm your time)...ugh! that is 2 nights in a row with rotten sleep.

Boy Do I look Sleepy and Trez is wide awake!
The hostel was fantastic, but I sure didn't want the alarm to go. So we barely made the shuttle and got Jeff to his plane on time. Now I had to wait till 8:20am for my flight...fun fun fun...oh wait, I posted yesterdays blog.
So finally they call my flight to board and I get on the huge bus which has very few seats as they are taxiing us to the plane...and it was a tiny commuter plane with the 2 spinning props (I think) kinda like the Air Canada Jazz planes (I will post pictures tomorrow) so there were 2 seats on each side of the row...so super tiny, but boy to Canadian airliner have something to learn about customer service. As I was getting on the plane they gave me candy (yummy) and our flight was 55min long and we got drinks and a Pretzel. A really nice soft one with guess what...butter inside....wow! So we land with no issues and now I need to figure out how to get to the hostel, as I forgot my instructions on how to get there...actually I never did any...oops!

I figured out the transit and get to the hostel, but holy crap was it high on a hill. I barely made it to the hostel...and to think I need to walk up this every night! Pictures to come...

Youth Hostel in Nuremberg

So I am told that I can only come back after 2pm to get my room, but I can store my luggage is a secure room again. I am in a 5 bedroom female dorm, I have no idea who are my roommates, but I have 3. But once again I take too much with me. So I decided to make my way down the hill to see some of the big churches, there are so many little streets and all cobblestone, that it can be hazardous, mind you, you can sure hear the cars coming.

Sebalduskirche
I saw Sebalduskirche which was almost completely destroyed in 1945 bombing - now painstakingly being rebuilt. Tones of art and arms on the walls, beautiful alter pieces too. This is also another Gothic church. Once I take tones of pictures there, I make my way down (literally) to Frauenkirche which is another Gothic church, but not as large. I took a lot more pictures. I had picked up a Nuremberg card so I could get in all the museums for free, and I decided that I would go to the Germanisches National Museum way at the bottom of the hill...this will have tones of artwork that I need for my research. I was getting so much research done that I killed the battery about 1/4 of the way through...so now I have nothing to do! Crap!

Mel -this happened just before the Cranach paintings too! Ugh!

So I decided to head back to the hostel to get my room, plug in the charger and take a nap. So now everything will be ready for tomorrow. Once I woke up from my nap I checked the battery and it was full! Yay! but everything closes at 6pm and it is 4:45pm...well time to wander and check out the town. Saw a few shops before they closed, but decided to  hunt for dinner...and I ended up at O'Shea's Irish Pub...I know but I was dying for some Strongbow...and it was fantastic.

Yummy Strongbow


So that was my evening, tonight I am taking it easy and going to read for a bit, then off to bed. I have to pick up the rental car tomorrow and find a parking space, but the guy at the front desk said it wouldn't be too hard and showed me where to park for free.

Tomorrow's agenda is as follows:
Pick-up car
drop off car at hostel
check out the castle beside the hostel
check out Albrecht Durer's house
back to the GNM to finish my tour (thank goodness I can go back for free with this card)
I am going to try and see a 16th century home on the outskirts of the city...depends on time.
And to top it off a night watchmen's tour at 9pm (if I last) LOL.

Hugs
Ern

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I share your pain. Pace yourself with the pics next time, okay? LOL!

    Have fun with the hill cardio. }-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see pics!!!

    - Shawna

    ReplyDelete