Well this sure has been a very long day...I think we were a little crazy trying to get 1 day in Vienna! So we get off the plane at 11:30 or so, try and figure out the airport in German...basically we said to each other..."follow them!!". It was a little crazy.
We get our stuff and try and figure out the train system. There were no booths and I had pre-purchased 24hr passes. SO my understanding was that we could use them from the airport. I said we need to catch the S7 to Wien Mitte then catch the U3 to Westbahnhof to get to the hostel. Well we get on the S7 and then find out we need to pay 3.60euros for both of us...thank goodness we had some small bills on us. So we transfer over pretty easily. Everything is well signed...we get to the hostel to discover our room won't be ready till 2pm...and it is 1pm. Where do we put our luggage? Luckily they have a secure storage room so we drop the bags there and go into the wilds of Vienna...
Well I knew I wanted to go to KHM which is the fine art museum in Vienna. So we get off at Voktheatre station to get there. We found Hofburg Palace which was pretty huge and amazing!
This is just the back of it too! So then we walk through the palace and hit the main drag of Vienna.
Shawna - all the most amazing stores such as: Dolce & Gabana, Tiffany's, Chanel, etc...Crazy!
Then we see St. Stephen's Cathedral...WOW. It was amazing. the roof was so cool and even with it being under construction, they had protection for the workers that looked exactly like the church, so you weren't missing much.
Inside was really cool, as it was a gothic church and had a bit of everything from medieval, to renaissance, baroque. It was really impressive. You could also go up the spires, but we were being really cheap! LOL
So then Jeff and I decided we should eat and try to be on a normal schedule. But we were so wiped from the plane that we coped out and got McDonalds. LOL I have a pic of it here, but it was good a little different and they served shrimp wraps...they also have a McCafe which serves lattes and such. Really fancy...and then I got my 1st experience with the pay washrooms...I have the ticket stub to prove it!
So we then decide that we need to hit the ring road tour, which was a dud and didn't do a ring...I have to investigate that one a bit more.
Finally we are off to the museum which we had a great time!
Mel & Dave - I was ORIGINAL Cranach paintings, up close and personal and my camera had a field day! Wait till you see it.
The back to the hostel to check our room out and shower. It was a fantastic room, very clean, nice bathroom and shower, great security. We were really pleased. Once we did that, Jeff took some pics, which I will show you later. We had dinner quite late 8:30pm or so at a Viennese restaurant which had fantastic food. We took pics of that too! LOL.
Well I posted blogs late last night and we had to catch Jeff's plane at 6:30am. So off to bed at 11:30pm to get up and to the airport shuttle for 5am. Ugh! So I am waiting at the airport for my plane while I write this. Jeff has left already.
So more about this later.
Hugs to everyone!
Ern.
Awesome reading. Keep it coming! (Can't wait to see the pictures). :-)
ReplyDeletePhoto mission 1: Trez in a sketchy hostel bed.
Photo mission 2: A shot of a public fountain. Weird birds-bonus points. :-D
Hi Honey,
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for both of you...the food must be awesome...miss you both much and much and am looking forward to following you both on your adventures...love kisses and hugs ....Mom